Important Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Treatment Information

How to get care for Emergent or Urgent Care Services

If you have an urgent mental health or substance use disorder question or cannot reach your PCP during normal office hours, call our 24/7 nurse advice line at 1-877-687-1197 (TTY 711). A licensed nurse is always available and ready to answer your health questions. If immediate care is needed, the licensed nurse will direct you to the best facility to get care.

If you have a life-threatening emergency such as a possible drug overdose, a suicide attempt, or risk of suicide attempt, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency care facility. We will cover without prior authorization emergency behavioral health services received from an in-network or out-of-network emergency behavioral health services provider.

You may also call or text the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988 or 1-800-273-8255. When you call, text, or chat 988, you will be connected to trained counselors that are part of the existing Lifeline network. The Lifeline operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week across the United States.

How to get care for non-emergent mental health and substance use disorder services

Ambetter from Coordinated Care considers mental health and substance use disorder treatment as a specialty service and provides access to appointment within 15 business days for non-urgent issues.

Talk to your primary care physician (PCP). If you don’t have one, Ambetter from Coordinated Care can help you find a provider, find local resources, and plan an appointment. Call Member Services at  1-877-687-1197 (TTY 711).

You do not need a referral from your PCP to see an in-network provider for mental health or substance use disorder treatment services.

To view a list of Behavioral Health Providers, please use our Ambetter Guide with the Detailed Search option.

If you are unable to find an in-network provider or get an appointment within 15 business days for nonemergent issue, contact us at 1-877-687-1197 (TTY 711). We will assist you in finding a provider to get the care you need.

Additional Resources in Washington State and Nationally

Concerns with access to care

If you have concerns, questions or you would like to file a complaint, you may call our Member Services at 1-877-687-1197 (TTY 711). You can also write a letter and mail or fax your Grievance to Ambetter from Coordinated Care at 1-855-218-0588. A Member Grievance Form may be found online at:

Grievance Mailing Address:
Ambetter from Coordinated Care
Grievance Department
1145 Broadway, Suite 300
Tacoma, WA 98402

We will investigate the issue and make improvements to make sure are members received continued high-quality care and service.

How to file a complaint with the Office of the Insurance Commissioner

You may also contact the Washington State Insurance Commissioner (OIC) to file a complaint with their office at:, or the commissioner’s toll-free insurance consumer hotline at 1-800-562-6900

OIC Mental Health Access Complaint Reports

View the latest OIC report on mental health care access complaints in Washington by visiting the OIC website and click on Carrier Complaints Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Treatment Report.

Mental Health

A mental health condition, also called behavioral health, causes changes in a person’s thinking, mood, or behavior. Common behavioral health concerns include, but are not limited to:

  • Feeling sad or hopeless
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Substance use
  • ADHD
  • Trauma/Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Autism

Many mental health issues are medical just like cancer or heart disease. These issues can happen to anyone. They can be treated. Treatment may include talking to a therapist or taking medication. Left alone, mental health problems can get worse.